Greek Dragon Houses near Nea Stira – Greece Landmarks in Evia
If you want to visit the dragon houses of Styra, the mysterious ancient Greek monuments of Evia, while staying in Nea Stira, Karystos, or Marmari, read on to find out their locations.
A couple of dragon houses (drakospita) are located in the neighborhood of the coastal town Nea Stira and the old inland village Styra. These ancient Greek landmarks are very impressive. Not only because of the way they were built, but also because of the locations they were built at.
If you are in to a little hike or drive into the mountains of Evia, and you are interested in Greek ruins and history, then the drakospita are absolutely some of the best things to see in Greece.
⇒ 8-Days Walking Tour on Evia, that includes a visit to the dragon houses of Styra. See details.
A few of the dragon houses you can reach easily and can be visited independently, if you know how to find them. Other dragon houses require a local guide. A guide will not only help you to find them, he or she will also assure you stay safe during your hike or drive.
List of Drakospita near Nea Stira
- In the district of Styra there is a group of dragon houses around 13 minutes from the old village of Styra. You will find the three dragon houses located at the site of Palli Laka, on the slopes of Mount Kliosi. It’s estimated they were build around the fifth or fourth century BC. It’s not sure where they were used for. Some researchers think they were inhabited by workers of the nearby marble quarries, others think they were used as sanctuaries.
- Half an hour from the old village of Styra is a dragon house called Tsouka dragon house.
- The easiest accessible dragon house is called Limiko dragon house at a height of 320m. It’s a ten minute drive from Nea Styra (around two kilometers along the road after Kapsala).
- At a height of 150m near the sea village of Nimporio is the dragon house Pirgos located. This is around twenty minutes from Nea Styra.
- At the Vigklia hill, along the road from Nea Styra to Styra stands the Vigklia dragon house at a height of only 80 meters.
- And at the site of Inglises of Styra there are two dragon houses at a height of 520 meters.
There are more dragon houses in the area, but it’s best to ask around when you are there.
Greece Landmarks in Evia
Karystos & Marmari Dragon Houses
Even more dragon houses are located on Mount Ochi, and near the towns of Marmari and Karystos, a little more to the south of Evia island. If you want to visit them it will take you around an hour drive from Nea Stira. For more information read the article “Dragon houses around Karystos and Marmari”.
At this 8-day walking and cruise trip you will explore the Greek island of Evia and spend all the nights, except one, on a boat at the Aegean Sea. The tour starts and ends at Athens International Airport.
You will visit all the most interesting places on Evia, either by boat, by bus and, of course, by walking. Main towns, villages and islands you will visit are Karystos, Petali Islands, Panagia, Zarakes, Argyro, Eretria, Nea Styra, Marmari, Mili, villages of Gourna and Mount Ochi.
The walks are around ten kilometers every day, which is three to four hours. Only the last day will be the double distance when you will visit the traditional villages of Gourna that sit beneath the imposing peaks of Mount Ochi.
The walks will take you, and the small group of max. 16 persons, to hillside and coastal villages, through olive groves and along ancient sites. Some of the impressive things you will see are the mysterious dragonhouses of Styra, the vineyards of the Montofoli Estate, an acropolis, the museum of Eretria and the Venetian castle. Every single place on Evia has its own delicious local cuisine and after long walks and a lunch you will be completely refreshed after some plunges from the boat into the sea.
Included: 6 nights on a simple boat, 1 night standard hotel, 7 breakfasts and 6 lunches (Vegetarian and Vegan food on request, you will have to inform the customer support team in time!), expert guide and transport (bus, boat, ferry, taxi. Flight is not included!).
This is a real adventure tour that you will book with TourRadar, a very reputable touroperator that you can check out on several review sites.
BOOKING RESOURCES FOR YOUR VACATION TO GREECE
Travel insurance is a type of insurance coverage that helps protect you if your travel plans change. It also may provide medical coverage for emergencies that occur outside of your network. To protect you from huge financial losses RoamRight offers travel insurance for all kinds of situations.